Police official still in coma after chopper crash in Laguna


Posted at Mar 07 2020 12:09 AM

MANILA - Major General Jovic Ramos, one of the top Philippine National Police (PNP) officials who figured in a helicopter crash in Laguna on Thursday, is still in coma and "in serious and critical condition," one of his doctors said Friday.

"The good general is still considered to be in a serious and critical condition. Of course, we are monitoring and managing the after-effects of the injury. So medyo may mga namamaga po dito, the facial injury, as well as the injury to the brain," Dr. Elvis Bedia of Southwoods Unihealth Hospital in Biñan told ABS-CBN News.

Ramos, the PNP comptrollership chief, sustained a serious head injury after the 2-year-old Bell 429 chopper carrying him, PNP chief Gen. Archie Gamboa, PNP intelligence director Mariel Magaway and PNP spokesman Bernard Banac went down in flames in San Pedro City.

All of them survived, along with an aide, a technician and the chopper's two pilots.

Bedia said that although Ramos' condition is showing improvement, it isn't consistent.

"Actually, 'yung improvement niya nagi-improve medyo gumaganda, tapos may episode na hindi naman pumapanget, but rather hindi doon sa expected natin na tuloy-tuloy ba. So nagi-increase, [at] nagde-decrease ang ating magagandang outcome," the doctor said, adding the police official will continue to stay in the intensive care unit indefinitely.

Ramos, who's been under comatose since the crash, has undergone multiple blood transfusions, said Bedia.

"Okay naman 'yung blood pressure, pero overall -- 'yung brain activity, 'yung lung activity, 'yung other activity of the other organs -- is always considered as a whole," he sad.

"So 'yun nga ang sabi ko sa inyo, the status of the patient remains in critical condition."

Magaway meanwhile was also in critical condition, said PNP Deputy Chief for Operations Lt. Gen. Guillermo Eleazar on Friday.

Gamboa was discharged on Friday and would return to work on Monday, according to another top PNP official, Police Major Gen. Benigno Durana.

Banac will be discharged on Saturday.

Gamboa and his men were in San Pedro for an inspection of impounded vehicles when their helicopter got entangled in power lines during takeoff in a sandy area.

The aircraft was supposed to bring him to Camp Vicente Lim in neighboring Calamba town.

Interior Secretary Eduardo Año said he will conduct a formal investigation on the crash to "prevent future incidents."