MANILA - Lawyer Larry Gadon on Sunday rejected allegations that the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos Sr. amassed ill-gotten wealth.
Asked whether he thinks the Marcoses stole from the national coffers, Gadon said: "Wala (none)." Gadon ran for senator in 2016 under the Marcos family's Kilusang Bagong Lipunan or KBL.
"Walang pera ang Pilipinas paano mo nanakawin?" he told "Harapan 2019: The ABS-CBN Senatorial Town Hall Debate."
Gadon said "not all" the assets sequestered by the Presidential Commission on Good Government belonged to the Marcos family.
Gadon, who previously described himself as a "true-blooded Marcos loyalist," said his current Senate bid is not backed by the late strongman's family.
The PCGG estimated the Marcos family’s ill-gotten wealth to be between $5 billion to $10 billion with "the bulk of it being deposited and hidden abroad.”
The commission recovered over P170 billion of ill-gotten wealth from the Marcoses in the past 30 years.
In 2018, the Supreme Court affirmed the dismissal of a civil suit seeking the recovery of billions of pesos allegedly plundered by the Marcoses and their alleged cronies.
The suit involves over P50-billion in moral damages and P1-billion in exemplary damages sought by the PCGG over the Marcos estate and the rest of the respondents namely, Rodolfo M. Cuenca, Roberto S. Cuenca, Manuel I. Tinio, Victor Africa, Mario K. Alfelor, Don M. Ferry, and Oscar Beltran.