Manila nabs 9 Chinese, 102 Filipino workers for demolishing buildings without permit

Katrina Domingo, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jan 10 2020 08:26 PM

Screencap from "The Capital Report" from Manila Mayor Isko Moreno's Facebook page. Taken January 10, 2020

MANILA - Authorities in the capital city have arrested 111 Chinese and Filipino workers who have been demolishing buildings along Roxas Boulevard without proper permits, Mayor Isko Moreno said Friday.

Police caught 9 Chinese and 102 Filipinos demolishing an establishment despite previously receiving notices from the city government to halt operations, Moreno said in his weekly report on Facebook, without disclosing the exact property.

"Yung mga Pilipino wala namang kamalay-malay... Dahil siguro siga yung may-ari ng building, dinisregard nung may-ari ng gobyerno," the mayor said.

"Binigyan sila ng notice to stop, they did not... Mukhang matitigas ang ulo nito, mukhang may pinagmamalaking senador ito, mukhang may ipinagmamalaking pulitiko ito," he said without naming a senator.

The mayor also slammed foreign nationals who disregard the law in the capital city.

"Hindi puwede kayo ang masusunod samin. Hindi puwedeng kayo masusunod dito porke't mayaman kayong bansa," he said.

"Hindi komo mayaman kayong bansa, siga na kayo, lalo kung may kaibigan kayong pulitiko. Gawin niyo yan sa ibang lungsod, huwag sa Maynila," he said.

He reminded businessmen that donating to the city should not be a license to skirt laws in the capital.

"I love you if you donate. Thank you for your help but this does not give you a license na mang-abuso," he said.

"I can have dinner with you. We can have pictures but it doesn't mean that you can abuse those to abuse our fellow Filipinos or Manileños," he said.

Moreno also called on the Chinese embassy in the Philippines to "take note of this situation" and to remind their citizens in Manila to "just follow the rules so there will be order."