MANILA - Eight individuals, including ABS-CBN News correspondent Chiara Zambrano and Olympian Hidilyn Diaz, are The Outstanding Young Men (TOYM) awardees for 2017.
Zambrano was honored for her work in the field of Journalism and Mass Communication, including the ABS-CBN News documentary "Di Ka Pasisiil" that was produced while she was covering the 2017 Marawi Seige.
She was also recognized for past works including "Spratlys, Mga Isla ng Kalayaan."
Zambrano covered the defense beat for ABS-CBN News before she went on leave last year to pursue further studies in London.
Zambrano's youngest brother, Angelo Francesco Zambrano, received the award on behalf of Chiara, who is still studying in the United Kingdom on a Chevening scholarship.
"Our family is proud that even though Chiara isn't looking for recognition, she is finally receiving some well-deserved attention for her work," Angelo told ABS-CBN News.
The TOYM award is conferred by the Junior Chamber International (JCI) Philippines on individuals who have demonstrated "outstanding leadership and excellence" and contributed to "the cause of humanity" in his or her field.
Other winners for 2017 include:
- P/Supt. Byron F Allatog for Government Service and Law Enforcement
- Cirilo Joseph Javier for Arts in Music
- Eugenio P. Mende for Veterinary Medicine
- Ronaldo C. Reyes for Education
- Jason Roy T. Sibug for Community Development
- Mark Anthony J. Torres for Government Service Education
- Hidilyn F. Diaz for Sports.