So far, so good: PNP says Nazarene procession secured

Arianne Merez, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jan 09 2017 02:47 PM

Members of Special Action Force policemen take position as they guard the Black Nazarene religious procession in Manila, Philippines January 9, 2017. Erik De Castro, Reuters

MANILA - The Philippine National Police maintained that there is no direct threat targeting the Black Nazarene procession as devotees continue to flock to Manila City.

PNP Chief, Director General Ronald "Bato" Dela Rosa said security assessments are "so far, so good" as the procession moves along the streets of Manila.

"So far so good yung ating assessment, ongoing pa kasi yan and we hope that this activity will end peacefully at wala sanang untoward incident na mangyari," Dela Rosa said in a phone interview on ANC's "Dateline Philippines."

(Our assessment is good so far. The procession is still ongoing and we hope that this activity will end peacefully and we hope that no untoward incident will happen.)

Though no direct and specific threat has been monitored, Dela Rosa maintained that they are pushing through with their "very tight" security arrangements.

Instead of signal jammers, Dela Rosa said they opted to turn off cellphone signal instead so that radio signals of police will not be affected.

The PNP chief also revealed that they no longer called for security augmentation from police in regions 3 and 4, and instead instructed for stricter checkpoints in the areas to avoid the entry of possible threats to Manila City.

The Manila Police District earlier estimated the procession crowd to be at around 500,000.