Duterte extends validity of parts of 2018 budget until December 2019: Medialdea

Katrina Domingo, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jan 03 2019 04:47 PM | Updated as of Jan 03 2019 05:43 PM

President Rodrigo Duterte skims through some documents while presiding over a Cabinet meeting at the Malacañang Palace on December 4, 2018. Simeon Celi, Jr. Presidential Photo

MANILA - President Rodrigo Duterte has signed a joint congressional resolution extending the validity of portions of the 2018 budget until December 2019, a Palace official said Thursday.

Duterte signed on December 28, 2018 Joint Resolution No. 3 extending the validity of last year's allocations for Maintenance and Other Operating Expenses (MOOE) and Capital Outlays (CO) until December 31, 2019, Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea told reporters in a text message.

The MOOE refers to expenditures that "support the operations of government agencies such as expenses for supplies and materials, transportation and utilities" while COs "are appropriations spent for the purchase of goods and services" which benefits the country beyond a fiscal year, such as the construction of roads and bridges, according to the Department of Budget and Management (DBM).

Some P1.3 billion was earmarked for the 2018 MOOE, while P1 billion was allocated for the country's capital outlay last year, data posted on the DBM website showed.

The executive branch is still in the process of computing how much of those funds remain in government coffers, a DBM staffer told ABS-CBN News in a phone interview.

Duterte extended the validity of the 2018 budget after Congress failed to pass the 2019 General Appropriations Act before it adjourned for the holidays last year.

A timetable earlier released by Senate Majority Leader Juan Miguel Zubiri showed that the 2019 budget may not be signed by congressional leaders until February 7.