Korean contingent to return to Cebu for Sinulog 2020

Annie Perez, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Dec 19 2019 06:59 PM

CEBU -- The Wonju Dynamic Dancing Carnival of South Korea will be once again joining the Sinulog grand parade next year.

This is the group's second time to join the Sinulog festival, but this time, the Korean contingent will be composed of two groups, Sinulog Foundation executive director Jojo Labella said.

With two groups, the audience will get to see more Korean dances in the Sinulog parade which will be held on January 19, 2020.

The Wonju Dynamic Dancing Carnival first graced the Sinulog Festival last year.

 

Aside from the groups from South Korea, there will also be 9 groups from other places who will join the festival. A group from Limasawa island in Southern Leyte will be joining the celebration, as Cebu prepares for the quincentennial celebration of the coming of Christianity to the country.

"Every year the contingents innovate, so it is exciting," Labella said.

Expecting a lot of visitors, Dave Tumulak, chairman of the executive committee for the Sinulog Festival, said they have coordinated with the police to ensure the security of festival-goers.

Several walk throughs around the route have been made. They will retain the same route as before -- from the Cebu City Sports Center down to Imus Road, before turning left to General Maxilom Avenue, then take a roundabout at the iconic Fuente Osmena circle and go down Osmeña Boulevard.

"We want to make sure, everything is safe for those who will be watching Sinulog, " said Tumulak.

Street parties will still be prohibited along the route and its 300-meter radius. A liquor ban, following the same parameters, will also be in place the weekend of the Sinulog.