MANILA – Filipino students have emerged victorious in three international math competitions held in China.
The Philippine delegation won 11 medals (one gold, four silver and six bronze) at the 19th China Western Mathematics Invitational (CWMI), 18th China Girls Mathematical Olympiad (CGMO), and 16th China Southeast Mathematical Olympiad (CSMO).
According to Mathematics Trainers Guild-Philippines (MTG), the three contests followed the math Olympiad format where participants had to solve four different problems within four hours for two consecutive days.
“These Chinese math contests are very hard and we congratulate our Filipino students for their triumph,” MTG president Dr. Isidro Aguilar said.
Below are the students who won medals in China math competitions:
CWMI (held from August 11 to 16 in Zunyi City in Guizhou province)
- Immanuel Josiah Balete of St. Stephen's High School (gold)
- William Joshua King of University of San Carlos in Cebu (silver)
- Charles Justin Shi of Philippine Cultural College Caloocan (silver)
- Fedrick Lance Lim of Zamboanga Chong Hua High School (bronze)
CGMO (held from August 10 to 15 in Wuhan City in Hubei province)
- Vanessa Ryanne Julio of St. Jude Catholic School (silver)
- Gwyneth Margaux Tangog of Southville International School and Colleges (silver)
- Deanne Gabrielle Algenio of Makati Science High School (bronze)
- Hiraya Marcos of Philippine Cultural College-Main (bronze)
CSMO (held from July 28 to August 2 in Ji'an City, Jiangxi province)
- Charles Justin Shi of Philippine Cultural College-Caloocan (bronze)
- Issam Wang of Manila Science High School (bronze)
- Stephen James Ty of Zamboanga Chong Hua High School (bronze)