SLEX toll suspension, rollback proposal under study: official

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Oct 15 2019 09:18 AM | Updated as of Oct 15 2019 09:30 AM

Watch more in iWant or TFC.tv

MANILA - A discussion on whether or not to suspend or reduce toll rates at the South Luzon Expressway "may take a while," its manager said Tuesday.

Laguna Rep. Sol Aragones filed a resolution seeking to suspend or lower toll at SLEX for 6 months, saying heavy traffic due to the construction of the Skyway extension was "causing severe inconvenience to the motorists."

"We are in the process of discussing this with the Toll Regulatory Board kasi maraming aspeto nito ang pag-uusapan. We have to look at it from the broader perspective, broader objective dito sa pag-ibsan ng traffic," said Skyway O&M Corp president Manuel Bonoan. 

(There are many aspects that need to be discussed. We have to look at it from the broader perspective, broader objective of easing traffic.) 

"It may take a while, depending on the merit of the discussion," he told radio DZMM. 

The SLEX is used by around 370,000 motorists daily, 190,000 of whom pass through the Skyway, said Aragones. 

The Skyway extension, which will be completed by December 2020, aims to eliminate the need for motorists to pass by the Alabang viaduct, a perennial traffic chokepoint, SOMCO earlier said. 

Sen. Grace Poe earlier urged SLEX managers to reduce toll rates.

The Toll Regulatory Board is studying the proposals, its spokesperson, Julius Corpuz, said last week. 

Under the law, the TRB "may also be imbued with the authority" to impose sanctions on the Skyway extension's contractor, he said.