MANILA -- Huawei's network hardware is "pretty much independent" and the "challenge" for the Chinese tech giant lies in its handset business, Globe Telecom president and CEO Ernest Cu said Thursday.
Google said earlier this week that it would suspend software and hardware transfers to Huawei, which uses its Android mobile software, in compliance with the US government's blacklisting of the company.
"I believe on the network side, Huawei is pretty much independent. We've been in conversations with them," Cu stold a breakfast briefing hosted by Bloomberg.
"I think where the challenge lies is in the handset. It's just unfortunate because their handset business is just growing," he said.
Current Huawei devices licensed by Google to use its apps are "safe," said Cu, adding the fate of upcoming models are uncertain.
"We will continue selling the current models. We'll have to see what happens 90 days from now or when the next model comes out," he said. "That's the time we're going to decide if we'll continue selling or not."
Cu was referring to the 90-day reprieve granted by the US commerce department granted to Huawei.
Globe and rival PLDT-Smart earlier gave assurances to customers that existing Huawei devices would function normally on their networks.