DITO says ready to roll out telco service by July

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jan 29 2020 04:17 PM

MANILA - DITO Telecommunity said on Wednesday it was ready to roll out its telco services by July this year. 

The heads of the firm, which bagged the contract to be the Philippines' third major telco, met with officials of the Department of Information and Communications Technology where they said DITO could fulfill its obligations under the deal with the government. 

DICT Secretary Gregorio Honasan said the government was concerned about the capability of DITO to fulfill its commitments, with July just 6 months away. 

"However, based on our discussions, I am satisfied that given the updates by the three top executives, DITO is on its way to deliver on its promise of cheaper and more efficient service to the subscribing public,” Honasan said.

The DICT said DITO updated them about the company's tower building activities, deals for infrastructure development, construction of network operations centers and projected timetables.
 
“We are on track to meet our year-one commitment to the government and to the Filipino people to provide world-class telecommunications services,” said DITO chief administrative officer Adel Tamano.


DITO has committed to cover 37 percent of the country and deliver 27 megabits per second internet speed within its first year of operations. 

It also promised to offer 55 Mbps of internet speed that could cover 84 percent of the population within 5 years. 

If the company fails to deliver on this commitment, the government may penalize it by forfeiting its P25.7 billion "performance bond." 

DITO, a consortium composed of China Telecom and Davao tycoon Dennis Uy’s Chelsea Logistics and Udenna Corp, has said it would invest more than $6 billion (P302 billion) to roll out its service. 

In June last year, the DICT said DITO may accept subscribers as early as the fourth quarter of 2019.