Culture Spotlight

Following ‘expected’ arrest at NAIA, Kris Aquino’s ex biz manager released after posting bail

After a long absence, Nicko Falcis was set to reunite with his family but a surprise was waiting at the airport for the Kris Aquino nemesis 
Ces Oreña-Drilon | Dec 13 2019

It was supposed to have been all’s well that ends well between Nicko Falcis and Kris Aquino. And Nicko, the former business manager of the former multi-media personality, was expected to have a hassle free Christmas in the Philippines, after lying low for several months in Thailand.

This after the two inked a compromise agreement in October after a much publicized and protracted legal battle.

Under the agreement, Aquino issued affidavits of desistance in all cases filed against Nicko and his brother Jesus. In the cases filed against Nicko, joint motions to dismiss were executed by the opposing parties.

But yesterday Nicko was arrested at the NAIA upon arriving from Thailand. 

More on the Kris-Nicko legal battle:

A source close to the family says Nicko was already released from detention today upon posting bail in connection with two cases filed against him by Aquino. Nicko posted a bail of P60,000 for the access device case and P6,000 for estafa. The Falcises posted bail yesterday in Pasay night court. 

This morning, while waiting in a room — not behind bars — at the NBI detention center, Nicko had a breakfast of multicolored puto washed down by a bottle of C2 iced tea. Nicko was released early afternoon today.

The former managing director of Kris C. Aquino Productions (KCAP) was arrested due to pending arrest warrants issued against him by the Taguig Regional Trial Court, Branch 117 and Branch 70, for estafa through misappropriation or conversion, and for violation of Section 9 of Republic Act No. 8484, the access devices regulation act.

The source says the Falcis family expected the arrest. It was their desire to be reunited with Nicko this Christmas back home in the Philippines. Under the compromise agreement, the charges pending in the Taguig court were supposed to have been withdrawn within two months from the signing but Aquino’s supposed absences in the hearings derailed the process.

According to the source, the Taguig courts have not been able to act on the joint motions to dismiss because the judges require the personal appearance of the actress. Aquino claimed to be ill on three successive hearings, with the new hearing date set for January 22 next year.

Last October, the Divina law office released a statement saying Aquino and Falcis “have fairly settled all financial issues and amicably worked out all personal differences.” The statement further said, “To avoid any future misunderstanding, no further statement shall be forthcoming.”

Kris posted the statement on her Instagram account, writing in the caption: “Learn from yesterday…like today…but above all, make sure to love tomorrow.

Kris and Nicko have been embroiled in a legal battle since October 2018, when the actress filed a qualified theft complaint against Nicko in 7 cities, alleging Nicko misused the corporate card she gave him as managing director of Kris’ production company, KCAP. 

Nicko later filed a grave threats case against Kris in January 2019, citing the allleged death threat she made against Nicko in a phone conversation while the latter was abroad. In April, the case was dismissed by the QC prosecutor.

Five cyber libel cases filed by Kris against Nicko’s younger brother Jesus Falcis in November 2018 have been dismissed after the compromise agreement was inked by the two parties.

Kris withdrew the charges in five separate affidavits of desistance. In one hearing, her camp presented its first witness, Elias ‘Jack’ Salvador in court. Kris was slated to testify next but this was overtaken by the signing of the agreement.